Welcome!

This blog is where I'll be posting stuff from a class I'm taking at RPI, Graphic Storytelling.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Poetry as Comics

For this assignment, students were to create 12-panel comics. Each pair of panels had to begin with "I used to believe..." and end with "...but now I know..." I chose to design my comic around important themes and lessons from popular manga and anime that I enjoy (that's what I get for looking at the word "believe" in the assignment description, and then looking at a picture of Kamina--believe in you who believes in yourself!). On each of the "...but now I know..." panels is the face of the main character of the series the text is referring to. Coming up with a concept was simple enough, but laying out the panels and the characters was far more difficult; I had trouble deciding if the panels should all combine into one image, or if individual images for each panel would be a better approach. In the end, I went with the one-image-for-all-panels idea, as it was easier to incorporate the characters using that method.

All characters belong to their respective owners. From the beginning of the comic to the end:
Light Yagami, Death Note
Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist
Tohru Honda, Fruits Basket
Sena Kobayakawa, Eyeshield 21
Kamina, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

No comments:

Post a Comment